1 T lemon juice
2 c milk plus some
2 T sugar
2 T baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t Mexican vanilla
1/2 t salt
1 c blueberries (fresh or frozen or even dried)
3 T melted butter
- Add lemon juice to 2 c milk and set aside. (If you have buttermilk, use it instead of the milk and lemon juice.)
- Melt butter and let cool.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Beat eggs. Combine with milk, vanilla and butter.
- The stir the wet ingredients into the dry mixture, and add more milk if necessary to make a pourable batter. Batter should not be as runny as pancake batter. Don't overmix; a few lumps are just perfectly fine.
- When the waffle iron is hot, pour in enough batter for the first set of pancakes, then sprinkle the berries on top. I used about a handful of frozen berries for each set of waffles.
- Serve warm with melted butter and maple syrup. Or jalapeno blueberry jam.
This photo is meh and the recipe is nothing to write home about. But making waffles from scratch is easy as...pie. And almost as good.