Thursday, June 02, 2011

Giardiniera

I'm prepping for my daughter's baby shower. I'm in charge of the food, of course. I'll post the full menu and pics in the next couple of days. Today, I'm making giardiniera, Italian pickled vegetables. The star is cauliflower, accompanied by carrots, celery, peppers, and herbs. I had a lot of celery and several aging carrots, so my recipe includes generous amounts of both. I filled two quart jars, one for the party and one for my son, as I expect he'll want to take some home.

Giardiniera
Ingredients
1/2 head of cauliflower
5 carrots, peeled and sliced
5 celery stalks, sliced
1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
1 c. pepperoncini
2 bay leaves
3 smashed cloves garlic
1 t. peppercorns
1/2 t. ea. of fennel and mustard seeds
a few sprigs of fresh oregano
4 c. water
2 c. vinegar
2T - 1/4 c. salt (I prefer less salt)

Directions
  1. In a stock pot, add spices, water, vinegar and salt. Heat to nearly a boil, then turn to low simmer.
  2. Separate the cauliflower florets.
  3. Slice the other veggies.
  4. Add celery, carrots, onion, cauliflower and bay leaves to the stock pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
  5. Take off the heat. Remove bay leaves.
  6. Add herbs, pepperoncini and garlic.
  7. When cool, store in sterilized jar or other suitable container. Refrigerate.
  8. Edible the next day or within the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment