Sunday, June 01, 2014

Lemon Gluten-free Madeleines

With friends and family members going gluten-free, I'm determined to learn to bake gluten-free goodies. I went a little crazy when Costco had an aisle of GF flours and got one of everything. Then I googled gluten-free recipes and felt like I'd just opened Pandora's box.  I had no xanthum gum, no sweet rice flour, way too much garbanzo flour and a boatload of coconut flour -- but no plan.

So I'm starting with madeleines. This recipe is simple and makes a small batch (about a dozen) -- perfect for a trial recipe.

First I made a gluten-free flour mix with the flours I had on hand, based on Jeanne’s Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Mix. (You can use All Purpose GF flour if you prefer.) You'll only need about 3/4 c. for the madeleines; store the extra flour in an airtight container.
  • 170g brown rice flour
  • 205g white rice flour
  • 120g tapioca flour
  • 120g sweet sorghum flour
  • 25g cornstarch
  • 2 t. xanthum gum
Then I (mostly) followed the directions that I found here, which was inspired by this recipe.

Gluten-free Madeleines
Ingredients
105g gluten-free flour mix
1/2 t. baking powder
70g unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 large eggs
1/2 t. lemon juice
100g granulated sugar
2 t. vanilla
Zest of 1 lemon

Directions
  1. Beat eggs and sugar for a few minutes. [Love my standing mixer.]
  2. While that's happening, nuke the butter on low until it's melted.
  3. Add vanilla & lemon juice to the butter, and dump the liquid into the mixer.
  4. In a separate bowl, mix the baking powder with the flour and lemon zest.
  5. Fold in the liquid until well blended and chill the dough for 30 minutes.
  6. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
  7. Prepare the madeleine tray, fill, and bake until the cakes are golden, about 12 minutes.
  8. Let the madeleines cool a few minutes before popping them out of the molds.

No comments:

Post a Comment