Monday, July 12, 2010

Peppers Stuffed with Zucchini and Israeli Couscous

Using seasonal ingredients and what's in the pantry, blah blah blah. The best food blogs sing this song.

But really, that's the way I cook. I shop the natural food and chain grocery stores for pantry staples, shop the farmer's market for fresh veggies and herbs.

And then I play.

So, I've got succulent red bell peppers, beets, globe zucchini, and fresh basil. What to do?

Snip the beets greens, julienne the basil, finely chop the zukes....and then cook up the remainder of the Israeli (aka pearl) couscous that's been sitting on the shelf since winter, mix it up with fresh herbs and tasty bits, and stuff the peppers.

Baking is a science. If I'm making bread or a sweet treat, I tend to follow the recipe as it's written. But otherwise, I view a recipe as a suggestion. I hope this sounds good enough for you to try, but the next time I make stuffed peppers, I'll do something different. Maybe use quinoa and cilantro. Stuff poblanos instead of bells. Add sausage or sun-dried tomatoes. Use cheddar or goat cheese.

Depends what's in season and what I have in the pantry.

Stuffed Peppers with Israeli Couscous and Zucchini
Ingredients
2 roomy red bell peppers (pick peppers you can halve and stuff full, not quirky ones)
3/4 c. uncooked Israeli couscous
1/2 red onion and 2 globe zucchini, finely chopped
1 jalapeno, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
a handful of beet greens and fresh basil, julienned and chopped
1 egg
1/3 c. grated parmesan

Directions
  1. Cook the couscous in chicken broth until al dente.
  2. Halve the peppers and clean out the seeds.
  3. Lightly oil a baking dish and arrange the peppers.
  4. Chop the other vegetable ingredients.
  5. In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked couscous, the veggies and basil, egg, and parmesan. Lightly salt and pepper.
  6. Fill the bell peppers. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes.
  7. If inclined, sprinkle more fresh herbs or a little more cheese when the peppers come out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment