Friday, July 16, 2010

Sausage Shrimp Jambalaya with Quinoa

By the time I got home from work the other night, I didn't feel like cooking, but I was famished.

I also didn't feel like cleaning up after myself. Hence this meal-in-one-pot. From start to finish, done within the hour. Leftovers became the Best.Lunch.Ever.

I didn't take photos, but I plan to make it again next week, add pics to the blog, and then participate in D-Feast Friday.

Sausage Shrimp Jambalaya with Quinoa
Ingredients
1 small red onion
1 red pepper
4 stalks celery with leaves
2 summer squash
3 cloves garlic
4 strips bacon, chopped (optional)
olive oil, just enough to sautee veggies
1 1b. chicken or turkey sausage -- find something tasty
1 1b. raw shrimp
1 c. quinoa
1/2 c. short-grain brown rice
3-3 1/2 c. chicken or veggie broth (more broth if you use fresh tomatoes)
1 t. paprika
1/2 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. cayenne
2 T fresh thyme leaves or half as much dried thyme
1 14.5 oz can unsalted diced tomatoes or fresh chopped tomatoes
salt to taste

Directions:
  1. Chop veggies and sautee with bacon and smidge of olive oil for a couple of minutes.
  2. Slice sausage and add to sautee pan to brown.
  3. When veggies are al dente, add broth, tomatoes, grains and seasonings.
  4. Simmer for 30 minutes until grains are edible, not mushy, and add shrimp.
  5. Contine to simmer until shrimp is cooked, which will take no time at all.
  6. Top servings with something fresh, fragrant and green: sliced scallions, basil.
Quick notes about seasonings: Let flavors simmer, taste as you cook and season to taste. You'll use less salt if your food is flavorful. My measures are approximate. Ultimately, how much you use depends on your taste preferences and the freshness of your ingredients.

I also use a low sodium, soy-based vegetarian "chicken flavor" powdered broth I get at the local natural food store. Locals, go to the food bins at New Leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment