Sunday, August 07, 2011

Apple Whole Wheat Waffle Boats

"walking boot"
As you can see, my mobility is restricted but I can cook sitting on a cafe stool. So I entertained myself this morning by making waffles for breakfast. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, especially when it comes to breakfast foods, and these waffles can be enjoyed with maple syrup and butter or filled with a savory delight. More on that at the end of this post.

P.S. I love my waffle boat maker, but any waffle maker will do. Don't have one? Make pancakes!

Apple Whole Wheat Waffle Boats
Ingredients
1 c. unbleached flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. backing powder
1/2 t. salt
1 T sugar
3 eggs
5 T melted butter
1 1/2 c. milk
1 c. grated apple (I didn't peel the apples)
[omit these last ingredients if you're going the savory route]
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 t. Mexican vanilla

Directions
Mix everything together and make the waffles.

If you have a waffle maker, I figure you know how to use it. If you don't have one, there are YouTube videos to teach you how to cook pancakes.


What  I like about waffle boats is that you can fill them with anything. For example:
  • steamed or oven-roasted vegetables (like broccoli or asparagus) and alfredo sauce
  • creamed tuna
  • sausage gravy
  • chili
  • fruit salad
  • chinese chicken salad
  • vanilla yogurt and nectarines
  • philly cheesesteaks
  • guacamole, sour cream and salsa
  • goat cheese and sauteed wild mushrooms
  • mango radish salad
  • the skies the limit!
If you like savory options, you  might want to check out my savory waffles recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment