Sunday, June 13, 2010

Not Yo' Mama's Tea Sandwiches

Producing a podcast on a regular basis is time-consuming. and we've let this site lie fallow while we focused on other things, like Desert Dingo Racing and The Satellite.

That said, we're back -- posting only recipes for now -- but we're cooking like crazy and love sharing our ideas as much as we love feeding people.

We attended a potluck picnic in the local community park yesterday. Our favorite grocery store clerk suggested we bring tea sandwiches to the potluck, and so we did. One sweet, two savory, one of those being vegetarian. Finger sandwiches are perfect picnic fare. No plates or utensils required.

These are not precise recipes. I didn't measure while I concocted, I tasted. And boyohboy, these treats were mighty tasty.

Curried Tuna
Mix tuna and mayo. Add capers, minced red onion/celery/cilantro in equal amounts, salt, curry powder to taste. Lovely on cracked grain bread, lightly spread with butter (optional), before making a plump tuna sandwich. Remove crusts if you like; I don't bother. Cut into 4ths.

Wasabi Radish Cuke
I use a mandoline to slice seedless cucumber and radishes. Whip cream cheese with lemon juice/zest and wasabi paste to taste; add chopped chives to cream cheese. Slather on bread and layer paper-thin slices of cuke and radish. Lightly salt veggies. Close and cut into 4ths.

The Elvis
Use organic peanut butter (I prefer chunky, and if I can make it to the local natural food store, freshly ground pb). Spread on both slices, sprinkle crumbled bacon on one side, layer other side with thinly sliced banana. Drizzle honey on banana. Close sammie and cut into 4ths.

I'm thinking that next time, I'll use maple syrup instead of honey on the Elvis.

No comments:

Post a Comment